I'm getting ready to deploy a set of changes for one of my customers. This morning I learned there was one more bug that needed fixing, so I fired up my virtual machine and loaded the project.
Ugh. The ASP.NET 2.0 web application had magically turned itself into a "web site" type project. Oh, and it wanted to upgrade. What?
As near as I can tell, my build script that makes sure I have the most recent version of the code from the source control tool wasn't set up properly, and somehow the correct project file wasn't stored in the source code control. Somehow my project file was lost. I looked everywhere, including checking to see if I had the correct version in a backup of the virtual machine. (Crap - the virtual machine was backed up last night, so the problem was already there. Ugh.)
After spending quite some time trying to figure out what happened and looking for my lost file, I finally gave up. I created a new project in a new folder, added all the appropriate files to it, tested to make sure things seemed to be working, and then added it to a completely new folder in my source code control tool. Then I went through the build script meticulously, making sure it was all pointing to the correct locations. Oh, and I made a backup of the folder.
That solution was relatively quick. I wish I had thought of it sooner.
I don't know what it is about this week, but it is time for it to be done already. I can't think of one thing that turned out to be as easy as it was supposed to be.